Apprenticeship in Hairdressing
Apprentices learn on the job, building up
knowledge and skills, gaining qualifications and earning money all
at the same time.
WHAT DOES AN APPRENTICE DO?
Apprentices are employed and are paid a
minimum of the National Apprenticeship Wage, currently £2.60 per
hour. The apprenticeship will involve working towards
a Vocational Qualification (QCF) and Functional Skills.
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
- Strong interest in hairdressing
- Friendly, caring disposition
- Self discipline
- Motivation and enthusiasm
- Excellent communication skills
- Smart appearance
- All students will need to attend an
individual interview prior to the start of the course
- Personal progress file or a current reference
- Salon employment
WHAT JOB WILL AN APPRENTICE DO?
Hairdressing is a thriving industry which
offers an interesting and rewarding career to the dedicated
professional. In today’s competitive business climate it is
more important than ever for people to achieve a recognised
qualification. Doncaster College is renowned for its high
quality training centre for hairdressing, this course offers
excellent training whilst you are working along side your employer
to give you the help and support you need to gain your
qualification. You will be employed in industry and attend college
one day per week; apprentices will be paid a training wage whilst
they gain their level 2 qualification.
HOW LONG DOES THE APPRENTICESHIP TAKE TO
18 Months – 2 years. The level 2
qualification will enable you to competently carry out treatments
and services safely and effectively. The course aims to
provide level 2 practitioners with the necessary basic skills to be
able to carry out shampoo and conditioning treatments, cutting,
colouring, drying & setting & perming. You will be
taught through a combination of classroom activities, such as
simulation/role-play, formal lectures, ILT methods, demonstration,
tutorial and small group work plus in salon training.
- G1 Ensure your own action reduce the risk to
Health & Safety
- G5 Give clients a positive impression of
yourself and your organisation
- G7 Advise and consult with clients
- H6 Cut hair using basic techniques
- H9 Shampoo & condition hair and
- H10 Style dress and finish hair using basic
- H13 Change hair colour using basic
- G4 Fulfil salon reception duties
- H12 Perm and neutralise hair using basic
- G8 Develop and maintain your effectiveness at
WHAT OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE
The skills and knowledge an apprentice will
acquire are highly transferable and there are many opportunities
for an apprentice to develop their career in this sector.
Apprentices may also go on to achieve other, higher level
- All apprentices will be required to complete
- English Level 1
- Maths Level 1
- Employer Rights and Responisbilities
You will be required to wear black and
white. It may be necessary to bring in clients to fulfil aspects of
the treatment / service range.
HOW TO APPLY
Please download an application
form or contact the team below for more information, advice and
Tel: 0800 358 7575
Email: click here
Disclaimer: All courses are
run subject to numbers, and every effort is made to ensure the
information on this leaflet is correct. Doncaster College reserves
the right to amend the contents as deemed necessary.
For more advanced courses such as Degrees and HNC/Ds please click here.