Animal Care Level 2 Diploma
The course is suitable for those who have achieved a Level 1
qualification in animal care or have substantial relevant
experience. It will provide you with the skills and vocational
qualifications so that you can work in an animal related
environment. It includes a large amount of practical, outdoor
training. You must commit to 100% attendance and be prepared and
willing to work in all weather conditions.
You will be expected to be available to attend college for a
minimum of 3 days per week plus a half day work
experience. The practical aspects of the programme are based
at the Northern Racing College near Bawtry.
The following mandatory units must be completed to achieve the
- Maintain Animal Health and Welfare
- Undertake Practical Animal Feeding
- Maintain Animal Accommodation
- Undertake Work Related Experience in the Land-Based
- Introduction to the Principles and Practices of Animal
Behaviour and Handling
- Introduction to Animal Breeds and Grooming
- Introduction to Caring for Horses
In addition to your course you will attend regular
tutorials. You will also study the L2 Award in
understanding Ecology & Conservation
Plus functional skills in Maths &
This is a portfolio based assessment qualification. Assessments
will be made on practical ability and knowledge and understanding
of set criteria.
- L1 Landbased studies in Animal care or an NVQ L1 in Animal
- Level 1 Literacy or working at level 1 determined by diagnostic
- For equivalent qualifications see the Entry Requirements Explained page
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and
English and attend an interview
- Knowledge of the care and wellbeing of a variety of animals is
Course Progression Routes
You may have the opportunity to progress onto BTEC Level 3 in
Animal Management with this qualification, but must be working
at a level 2 functional skills English and Level 1 functional
skills in maths.
Course Career Prospects
Opportunities to progress may include;
- Trainee Veterinary Nurse
- Access to Grooming Courses
- Working within Animal establishments as an Animal Care
- RSPCA - working in rescue centres, or work towards becoming an
animal welfare officer
If you are unsure about your career progression please contact the Careers Team.
Guest speakers from industry are arranged throughout the year to
enhance your learning and increase your knowledge of career
opportunities. Trips to Chester Zoo, Yorkshire Wildlife
Park and the RSPCA will be arranged which are beneficial
to your course and learning. These activities are
optional and additional fees will be charged to you. Details will
be provided at the time of interview.
There are no course fees if you are under 19 years old on 31
August 2013. However, you will have to pay for textbooks, personal
kits, uniforms, trips and personal stationery. You will be informed
of these at your interview.
You will be required to purchase a uniform from college.
For Application and Enrolment Information Contact
Free phone: 0800 358 7575
For more advanced courses such as Degrees and HNC/Ds please click here.
For Postgraduate & Professional courses please click here.