Construction Trades - Carpentry and Joinery Level 1 Diploma
||1 year full-time
- You will gain an understanding of the construction
- You will have an opportunity to apply learning in a practical
and realistic way
- You will follow a programme of study that enables progression
to further courses and employment within the construction
- You will gain confidence by developing independent learning
- You will learn how craft activities are carried out safely and
how they contribute to the construction process
The largest proportion of workers within the industry are
engaged in craft occupations. All of these require self-motivation,
skills in numeracy, communications and problem solving, as well as
a broad range of technical skills. Therefore whilst at college you
will be expected to undertake one functional skill per year which
will help in the preparation into employment.
The Qualification Structure:
- General Core units
- Occupational Specific Units
Core units are common to all trades and cover topics such as
Health and Safety/ Communications and Construction Technology
This course also includes tutorials, Functional Skills which
includes English and Maths and Personal and Professional
Students are assessed using practical assignments and online
testing of knowledge
- 2 GCSE grade G or above in Maths and English
- Ascentis Preparation for employment in the Construction
Industry Level 1.
- For equivalent qualifications see the Entry Requirements Explained page
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and
English and attend an interview.
- Successful applicants will then complete an introductory course
(Preparation for employment) prior to the main program which gives
both the candidate and the lecturer the opportunity to assess
suitability to progress.
- It is also important that you have an interest in this dynamic
industry, that you have a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in
the sector, a willingness to explore new ideas and the ability to
communicate your ideas.
Course Progression Routes
Successful candidates can progress onto the level 2 diploma in
the following academic year or alternatively transfer onto a modern
apprenticeship program if an employer is found.
Course Career Prospects
Successful candidates will be in a position to seek employment
with suitable construction companies who are willing to offer an
apprenticeship which will give the learner the chance to further
their skills in the pursuit of becoming a qualified tradesman.
If you are unsure about your career progression please contact the Careers Team.
Activities such as trips and visits will be arranged, which are
beneficial to this course and your learning. These activities are
optional and additional fees will be charged to you. Details will
be provided at the time of interview.
There are no course fees if you are under 19 years old. However,
you may have to pay for textbooks, personal kits, uniforms, trips
and personal stationery. You will be informed of these at your
A £50 charge for course materials is applied to all full time
For Application and Enrolment Information Contact
Free phone: 0800 358 7575
For more advanced courses such as Degrees and HNC/Ds please click here.
For Postgraduate & Professional courses please click here.