Public Services Level 2 Diploma
The Public Services Level 2 Diploma provides a progression
opportunity for you to identify and develop the skills required to
gain a successful career in the Uniformed Public Services
This course will enable students to examine a range of uniformed
public services and make informed decisions about their future
career. The course combines theory and practical application of
knowledge to develop essential leadership and team work skills and
improve personal fitness levels to meet the entry requirements of
their chosen Public Service.
The qualification would be benefit individuals wishing to enter
The Emergency Services:
- Police, Fire Service or Ambulance Service
The Armed Forces:
- Army, RAF, Navy, Royal Marines
- Prison and Security Services
- HM Customs and Excise
- Community Service Organisations
The course is made up of seven units (60 credits) , three of
which are mandatory, one specialist and three optional units.
Mandatory units include:
- Public Service Skills
- Career Planning for the Public Services
- Uniformed Public Service Fitness
- Employment in the Uniformed Public Services
Three Optional units:
- Sport and Recreation in the Public Services
- Land Navigation by Map and Compass
- Driving and its Relationship to Public Services
Students will have the opportunity to take a number of
additional qualifications such as functional skills and NCFE
PT kit and walking boots are required, some outdoor clothing is
provided. Learners will be expected to wear a ‘uniform’ of polo
shirt, walking trousers and waterproof jacket.
This course is internally assessed by means of performance
observations, assignments, presentations, reports and projects. In
addition to classroom based study the course includes outdoor
activities including a week's residential visit, demanding personal
fitness training and visits to various Public Services
- 5 GCSE grades D including English and Maths
- NCFE Introductory Course in Public Services Level 1/2
- For equivalent qualifications see the Entry Requirements Explained page
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and
English and attend an interview
- All applicants are to successfully complete a one week
Introduction to Public Services course. Initial assessment
pre-enrolment and diagnostics tests.
Course Progression Routes
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Public Services (with Merit
Course Career Prospects
Job opportunities include working in the Fire Service, Police,
Army, RAF, Prison Service, Ambulance Service and Customs and
If you are unsure about your career progression please contact the Careers Team.
Activities such as trips and visits will be arranged, which are
beneficial to this course and your learning. These activities are
optional and additional fees will be charged to you. Details will
be provided at the time of interview.
Enrichment Activities will be available to you such as:
- Football (male and female)
- Martial Arts
- Fitness and Exercise
Note: subject to skills tests and timetable.
There are no course fees if you are under 19 years old. However,
you may have to pay for textbooks, personal kits, uniforms, trips
and personal stationery. You will be informed of these at your
Approximately £200 is required for uniform, a residential visit
plus other entry fee through the year, eg canoeing and
For Application and Enrolment Information Contact
Free phone: 0800 358 7575
For more advanced courses such as Degrees and HNC/Ds please click here.
For Postgraduate & Professional courses please click here.