Jump directly to main contentJump directly to menu

Hidden talents revealed at Doncaster College

Posted: 6th November 2020

Staff members of Doncaster College and University Centre have been revealing their hidden talents as part of an ongoing campaign which is running across DN Colleges Group.

Talented staff from across the College’s provision have come forward in droves to reveal some fantastic private passions and memorable events, that help to enrich students’ College experience through their own hidden talents.

Just a few of the revelations have included FE Director, Julie Kaye who came forward to share her experiences of running, Julie is part of a running club which has led her to run various 10k, half and full marathons and cross country of up to 30k all over the world. Julie also represented Great Britain in the Volta’A Cidade Do Funchal and ran on the London Olympic track in the Gold Challenge in April 2012 as a prelude to the London Olympics.

Julie has also taken part in fundraising for The Bluebell Wood Hospice Julie commented “Whenever I go on holiday the first thing I pack after my lipstick is my running kit, it is a wonderful way to explore. Although I am proud of my PB of 49 minutes for 10k and 1.42 for a half marathon, it is the taking part that counts as running benefits both mental and physical health”

Other hidden talents include, Assessor, Matt Windass who is a keen cricketer and represented Yorkshire at U14’s and U15’S. Animal Care lecturer Vicki who runs her own animal encounter business , Animal Ark Travelling Zoo taking 18 different species of animal to schools, care homes and children’s parties. Vicki speaks of what she finds rewarding ‘My biggest achievement and highlights have to be when I visit hospices and I can put a smile on people’s faces’

Anita Price is an IT Lecturer who has a passion for diving and is a keen SCUBA diver, “My greatest achievement in this field was qualifying last year as a Dive Master. This means that although I am not an instructor, I can conduct SCUBA reviews, teach snorkelling and skin diving without an instructor being present. As part of being a Dive Master I am also a qualified Rescue Diver!”

Anita’s revelation has caused great interest amongst her colleagues resulting in lessons for fellow staff in the New Year!

FE Director of Creative and Digital for DN Colleges Group, John Stopforth has revealed a lifetime passion and talent for Taekwondo the Korean Olympic Martial Art since he was 10 years old. John states “Taekwondo is a real family thing, with my late father also doing Taekwondo along with my brother and my son. We were all blackbelts. I’m currently a 6th Dan Master Instructor.  I’ve met some amazing people through martial arts, including Sarah Stevenson Jennings Mbe, who did some brilliant work with our students from TV and Film”

John has since gone on to open his own club, Lion Taekwondo, the club allows people to train and to learn the 5 tenets of Taekwondo. Etiquette, modesty, perseverance, self-control and indomitable spirit.

“We are very proud and extremely fortunate to have such a fantastic group of staff who continue to go above and beyond in ensuring our students have the best possible learning experience,” said Scott Wilson (Head of People, DN Colleges Group).

Scott continued, “We continue to be amazed by the hidden talents our staff possess, listening to their unique stories not only inspires the students around them but also our staff too.’