Jump directly to main content Jump directly to menu

Doncaster Business Awards Food Review Blog – By Catering Student, Jeanna

Posted: 22/03/2021

For the 2021 Doncaster Business Awards, held by Doncaster Chamber, Doncaster College and University Centre were proud to be the headline sponsor for another year. This year the awards were a little different than usual as the event was held virtually and, in place of the usual table service 3-course meal, attendees were sent a 3-course meal in a box to prepare in the comfort of their own home.

The courier-delivered meal proved to be a great opportunity for some of Doncaster College’s catering students to break down and review a professionally prepared and posted meal. Level 3 Professional Cookery student, Jeanna, took notes on the meal and has shared her thoughts. Here is what she had to say.

“It was such a lovely evening. I believe it was a great success as everyone enjoyed themselves and I learned many new things.

I really loved the starter of Oak Roast Salmon with Bloody Mary Gel. I wasn’t quite sure what the Bloody Mary Gel was made from but I’m guessing it’s made out of wine, tomato juice and jelly? I would like to try and make this gel for my own guests, in the future. I liked the idea of roast salmon instead of just plain, and I think the veggies at the bottom were pickled, I think its pickled, which I really liked it too. If I was to do this recipe myself, I think I would like to do mine with pickled capers as well.

The main was a 21-day dry aged beef fillet, which was really delicious. As the meat was more mature, I could taste the difference to meat that has not been dry aged; it was more tender, richer and beefier flavour. The beef also came with a fondant potato which were really nice as well, it was buttery and well-seasoned. The madeira jus compliments the dish, it works really well with the beef. As a side we got tender stem broccoli. I liked the idea of broccoli with chilli oil as it added a bit of an Asian flavour to the dish.

I couldn’t stop eating the chocolate & Seville orange torte we had for dessert! It wasn’t too sweet; it was pleasing to the palate. I really love orange, so I was a huge fan of the orange syrup. This is a recipe I would like to try myself!

I had a lovely evening and really enjoyed the entertainment; listening to Richard Ford playing piano and singing at the same time was indeed music to my ears.”

The Doncaster Business Awards were a night undoubtedly enjoyed by all those attending and celebrated Doncaster businesses and local talent brilliantly, despite the Covid stay-at-home order. Thank you to Jeanna and the other Catering Students who attended the awards, for using the skills you learned throughout your time at college to review these delicious food packages that were sent by Doncaster Chamber.