Developed in partnership with the Rugby Football Union (RFU) the 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Strength and Conditioning for Sport (QCF) provides learners aged 16 and over with an introduction to the principles and practices of coaching safe and effective strength and conditioning activities. Holders of this Award are able to then seek employment as an assistant strength and conditioning coach in a club, school or equivalent environment.
The qualification is also excellent continuous professional development (CPD) for exercise and fitness industry professionals via The Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) – an ideal way to improve and broaden their skill set.
In the advent of two highly successful Olympic Games in London and Rio, the role of the Strength & Conditioning coach in athletic performance has become more well-known and popular. As a consequence the need for well trained, experience coaches working with athletes of all ages is becoming more widespread. Countries like Australia and United States have led the world in the profession of Strength & Conditioning with schools and colleges employing professionals to work with their young athletes. The UK is beginning to progress in this field and this Level 1 Award is the first step in bridging that gap from being a Gym Instructor or Personal Trainer to working with athletes of all ages and abilities.
- Level 1
- 2 Weeks
- Awarding Body
- Course Fees
Click here for fee information
Aged 19 and over? Click here to find out about our financial support available
Units and Structure
The course will be run over 4 days (2 days per week for 2 weeks) and will include the following units;
- Understanding the fundamentals of coaching sport.
- Understanding the principles of planning coaching activities in sport.
- Understanding the principles of conducting coaching activities in sport.
- Understanding the principles of evaluating coaching activities in sport.
- Planning coaching activities in Strength and conditioning for sport.
- Conducting coaching activities in Strength and conditioning for sport.
- Evaluating coaching activities in Strength and conditioning for sport.
We don't have any information available about entry requirements for this course. Please use the contact details listed further down this page to chat to us.
Tutors and Student Support
Sports Tutor and Course Leader
John has been a member of the Sports and Public Services team since January 2015. Prior to this he had been lecturing at Wakefield College, as well as working as Strength and Conditioning coach for the Athlete Development Programme.
John has over 17 years industry experience as both a Personal Trainer and Strength & Conditioning coach and he is currently Head of Strength and Conditioning at Batley Bulldogs. He is a successful athlete in his own right, winning the World Championships in Drug Free Bodybuilding in 2010 & 2011 in Barcelona and New York respectively.
John teaches a range of modules here at Doncaster College using his vast experience and knowledge to make the lessons current, practical and engaging. His main areas of expertise are Strength & Conditioning, Fitness Training/Programming and Sports Nutrition. John also has experience in sports injuries and massage having worked as Sports Massage Therapist for both the Italian Rugby League team, England Water Polo squad and Morley RUFC.
Student Support and Facilities
As a student, you’ll have access to a wide range of facilities, services and support, including:
- Step outside the classroom and access our state of the art facilities as well as 3 huge Learning Resource Centres with thousands of resources to use
- With hands-on experience you’ll be prepared for employment with a competitive edge.
- A dedicated impartial careers advice team to help you on your future path
- Our wide range of courses means that we can offer the right paths to get you where you need to be
- Our Hub campus is right in the heart of the town centre meaning you can find your way to us easily
- Outstanding student support throughout your studies with us.
Apply or Enquire
Want to know more or chat to us?
Have any further questions about this course? You can contact someone specifically about it by using the details below or filling in the enquiry form.
FE Admin Team
Make an enquiry
Want to apply for this course?
We don't have any information available about entry requirements for this course. Please use the contact details listed here to enquire.
Application & Enrolment
To apply for this course, please complete our online application form or download a printable form.Apply Now