If you request additional learning support you will have a chat with a member of the Additional Learning Support team Co-ordinators / Specialist Tutors to decide what kind of support will best meet your learning needs.

There are all sorts of different types of additional learning support that may be available, some of which are listed below.

Specialist Tutor

If you are enrolled on a main course at any level and you’re really struggling with Maths and/or English but need to develop these skills to achieve your course, then you may be able to have some additional support from our specialist tutors.

The specialist tutors can give 1:1 or small group support that is additional to your timetabled Maths/English classes to look at areas such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, literacy, numeracy and language support.

The tutors tailor your support to help make learning about Maths/English more enjoyable and will use a variety of different approaches such as playing games to assist in this.

The help they offer is confidential and will help you if:-

  • You hate Maths/English and want some help taking the fear out of these subjects.
  • You aren’t comfortable raising your concerns about these subjects in the full classroom area but do need some help.
  • You want to look at strategies you can put in place to help you overcome some of the problems you face when doing Maths and/or English.
  • You want to build your confidence in these subjects.

Where relevant, the specialist tutors can carry out screening assessments for dyslexia for example to help identify potential support needs.

Learning Support Assistant (LSA)

LSAs will work with you either in class 1:1 or with you and a small number of other students in the same class.

Sometimes they can also work with you out of class 1:1 or with a small number of students outside of your scheduled lessons to help you access and use areas of the College such as the Learning Resource Centre, canteen, lunchtime activities etc

If you have an LSA with you, the support they offer will be relevant to your additional learning needs but may include things such as:-

  • Prompting and helping you to stay focussed on the tasks you need to complete
  • Working with you at your pace or recapping information
  • Assisting you when doing practical work
  • Help you to develop social skills so you learn to get on with other students and make new friends
  • Generally help you to get settled into College life
  • Note-taking
  • Assisting you to make your way around College

However, the LSA does not complete work on your behalf that is down to you.

Communication Support Workers

1:1 support in class and other learning environments for you if you have a hearing/visual impairment

Support with Mobility Around College

Where you need support getting around college, an LSA will assist you – for eg visually impaired students, wheelchair users etc would be supported to get around College

Personal Care

Support is available for you if you have personal care needs such as support with feeding and toileting.

Specialist Equipment

There is a small stock of specialist equipment which is available to loan to tutors for use in the classroom or to you if you have an additional learning support need and that equipment would really help you with that need.

We have specialist equipment such as:-

  • Laptops/Alpha Smarts – for students who have difficulty writing but can type
  • Digital Voice Recorders – for those who have difficulty taking notes at speed
  • Specialist Accessibility Software – eg Literacy support software for those who find reading, writing and using language difficult
  • Ergonomic Equipment – where classroom adjustments need to be made – eg height adjustable tables, wrist/arm supports for desks/chairs
  • Other Aids – Magnifying sheets, keyboard with high-visibility keys, reading pens etc

Exam Arrangements

If your course has exams then you may be able to have special arrangements put in place for them.

You will need to be assessed first though by a specialist tutor within the Additional Learning Support team who can make recommendations for exam arrangements.  These arrangements are very often similar to the support you get anyway when you’re on your course.

Special arrangements may include:-

  • A reader
  • A scribe
  • Additional time for oral exams (eg if a learner has speech difficulties)
  • Additional time for written exams (eg if a learner has slower processing skills or a physical disability that is tiring)
  • Rest breaks (eg if a student has a medical condition)
  • Enlarged exam papers
  • Use of a communicator (eg for a deaf student)
  • Prompter for learners with Asperger’s or Autism
  • Use of a separate room